Posted by: anon | 2009-08-07

insulin resistance

Dera doc,

Is insulin resistance (or high levels of insulin) the same as diabetes. Accordong to my doctor I have too high insulin levels. What is the best diet to cure that, and can that be the reason that I just cannot loose weight no matter how hard I try.

Dear Insulin Resistance
I apologise for only answering your question today, but I have been away and my site was supposed to be closed for the period of my absence. Insulin resistance (IR) is not the same as diabetes (where the patient no longer produces sufficient insulin for his or her needs), but it is often a precursor for diabetes. IR can certainly be the reason why you struggle to lose weight. In IR, you are producing masses of insulin but your body cells are not able to use the hormone to transport glucose into the cells to be used for energy, so the glucose is stored as fat instead. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).