Question

Insulin Resistance

really am miserable... At the age of 15 I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and PCOS. At 13 I weighed 42kg, and I was average height, through grade 8 my weight went to 55kg and a year later I was 63kg. I was picking up weight while running 4km everyday and watching what I ate. I couldn'  t understand it! I have been to specialists and no one can help me. Now, I am 20 and I weigh 72kg, am 1.68m tall. I'  ve even stopped menstruating ( even when on the pil). I can try everything under the sun, I have never lost a single kilogram! Blood tests revealed too much insulin, too little estrogen, too much testosterone and an underactive thyroid. I have been on Glucophage for 5 years now, currently on 850mg 2x daily. Running now 6km a day, drinking 2 liters of water and eating balanced - I manage to stay the same weight. I am at university in Potchefstroom, 2nd year Dietetics and I have written to you before, forgive me but tonight as I was studying for my Physiology exam, Endocrine, an anger came up within me reading about the effects of insulin - increasing fat deposits in adipose tissue and inhibiting release of fatty acids from adipose tissue for utilization. So it is this insulin making me fat, and I just want to cry because nobody can help me. In Nutrition we learn about eating a balanced meal etc. I must be honest, I'  m so fed up I feel like never eating carbohydrate again if it is stimulating more insulin release. But it goes against everything I know. What can I do just to shed some weight? 10kg? I wake up early for training and it goes unnotticed. Believe me, at this age girls want to be noticed, and the boys don'  t look your way if you seem a little overweight. What would happen if I just stopped eating CHO? What can I do???

Dear Insulin Resistance
I understand that you must be feeling desperate, but please don't despair. First write those exams and see that you get good marks. Then please talk to your lecturers about your IR and PCOS. Dr Hattie Wright, who is at your faculty is an experts on sport and glucose metabolism and she should be able to advise which specialists you need to see. For this combination of IR and PCOS you may also require female hormone treatment and it is imperative that you use a low-fat, low-GI diet. Your faculty must have examples of such diets available. I trust that you are also take Eltroxin for your hypothyroidism. Your condition is caused by multiple endocrine imbalances which each need to be addressed to improve the situation. The fact that you are running 6 km per day is helping to keep your weight constant, but you need the hormonal treatments to sort out the actual imbalances. I have a personal theory that this type of condition is caused by so-called 'Endocrine disruptors" (chemicals found in water which then get into our food chain), which is why I reckon you need additional hormonal treatment to normalise your endocrine functions.
Hang in there, but do go to your lecturers for assistance, they are after all experts in this field.