Question
Posted by: sam | 2009-03-04

insulin resistance

I went to see a endocrinologist. Can u please explain what is insulin resistance. Am i now a diabetic. Doctor gave me a script for glucophage xr(1 in evening). Do i have to use permanent. My doctor said i have to lose weight with exercise but i have a disability in my leg. For the last year i use no sugar, eat healthy but can not lose weight. I have hair loss, tired all the time, unregular cycle(i am 38 years old). I thought it is my thyroid, but she done a glucose and insuling test and i still have to do a iron and vitamin d test. There is nothing wrong with my thyroid(test done). Can these symptoms be the insulin problem? thanx

Dear Sam
Insulin is a hormone that acts like a key that opens the door for sugar to go into the cells to be used as energy. If you are insulin resistant, you have enough insulin, but the key isn't working very well, so sugar stays in the blood, and cells are starved of energy. You may need to do exercises where your leg won't be a problem, like water aerobics, or do something like Pilatus exercises, you could also see a biokineticist to work out exercises that would work for you without causing unneccessary stress on your leg. Try eating a high vegetable, low carb, low fat diet with at least 30 g protein at each meal. Insulin resistance is not yet diabetes but can develop into diabetes if you are not careful
See also http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/DM/pubs/insulinresistance/