Question
Posted by: Brendan | 2011-02-22

Insulin Level

Please help, a recent blood test revealed that my sugar levels are normal but that my insulin count is very much above what it should be at 49.1. The doctor only prescribed clucophange but did not explain why my insulin level would be so high and what the effects are

Hallo Brendan
A high insulin count is indicative of insulin resistance - in other words, you make enough insulin but your tissues do not use or react to it as it should. Tissues need insulin to take up sugar from the blood into the cells to use as energy. High blood sugar triggers the secretion of more insulin, so if the tissues do not react normally to insulin and absorb sugar from the blood, blood sugar can increase and trigger more insulin secretion. Glucophage lowers the amount of sugar in the blood by limiting its absorption and decreasing sugar production. It also helps the body to use insulin more effectively. A very important part of treatment for insulin resistance is regular exercise - at least 20 min per day.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011-02-22

Hallo Brendan