Posted by: SR | 2009-01-31

Insulin and weight loss

I would like to know what is the link between high levels of insulin and poor weight loss? I understand that insulin resistance causes the pancreas to produce excess insulin. But if this is regulating your blood sugar levels, why do you gain weight?

Dear SR
Patients with insulin resistance do not necessarily produce more insulin, but the amount of insulin in the blood is high because it is not being used to regulate blood sugar levels! Basically there is a problem with body cells that do not 'recognise' insulin and insulin can therefore not transport blood sugar across the cell membrane to be used for energy purposes - hence the increased blood sugar levels and increased storage of blood glucose as fat which causes weight gain. Eating foods with what is called a high glycaemic index (GI) does make the pancreas produce larger quantities of insulin than when you eat foods with a low-GI.. So eating high-GI foods will worsen insulin resistance and weight gain while low-GI foods esp if they have a low-fat content will help to control this condition and promote weightloss.
Hope this helps