Posted by: Bee | 2009-05-11

Hi, I am a 30 year old, and have a problem with stiffness in my body, it presented on the top of my feet - I cannot bend my feet when I wake up in the morning and after long periods of rest. Then lower back pain and general stiffness/sore achy pains in my body. I started going to a podiatriest, where I had Xray' s, then soft tissue scan, then went to an orthopedic surgion - again did not help. I recently went to a general physician who did loads of blood tests which came back normal. Except a high insulin level. (26.3). I was not told to fast before so could my breakfast have caused the spike in the insulain level? Secondly could the stiffness in my body be related to high insulin? Please help - I dont know where to turn?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Bee

Hyperinsulinemia is an abnormally high level of insulin in the bloodstream. Chronic hyperinsulinemia is most often caused by insulin resistance, a condition in which the body cannot use insulin properly. Insulin is a hormone necessary to move glucose (blood sugar) from the bloodstream into the cells for use as energy. Insulin resistance is a feature of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes.

Hyperinsulinemia may also be due to a tumor of the pancreas (insulinoma). Hyperinsulinemia in infants and children may be due to genetic defects or to diabetes in the mother during fetal development.

Other causes of and contributors to hyperinsulinemia include:

Impaired liver function
Pregnancy or breastfeeding
Polycystic ovarian syndrome
Short-term hyperinsulinemia may be due to an overdosage of insulin medication, unusual physical exertion or a large carbohydrate load that requires extra insulin to process.

As the above indicates, hyperinsulinaemia can be a complicated condition, and, although the most common cause is related to dietary and weight issues, it is important to exclude all other potentailly organic causes.

Whether the high insulin levels are causing the stiffness is questionable, however this will be bourne out if the stiffness improves / disappears as the insuulin levels decrease with appropriate management.