Question
Posted by: Martie | 2011/01/26

Instant Oats - is it any good?

Dear Diet Doc
I understand that oats is suppose to be very healthy. I would like to know whether the instant oats - the packets where you just at boiling water - have the same health benefits as the normal oats you have to cook?
The instant oats I am referring to is the " Original"  flavour, and at ingredients it says " Rolled oat flakes, oat bran, salt, flavourant, vitamins and iron" .
I am aware that the other flavours than " Original"  contains lots of additives including sugar, this is why I am only referring to the " Original"  flavour.
Thank you for your advice.
Kind regards
Martie

Dear Martie
Oats are regarded as a healthy breakfast option because they contain soluble dietary fibre which helps to lower blood cholesterol. This also applies to instant oats. According to the SA Glycemic Index and Load Guide, Oats-so-easy, natural flavour by Jungle, have a low GI, whereas most of the other flavours and other oat products have an intermediate GI. The lower the GI, the better the food is in relation to weight control.

1

Dear Martie