Question
Posted by: DEBRA | 2012/05/21

INSTANT OATS

Is it ok to have instant oats for breakfast instead of the usual oats. I cant cook the usual oats at work and I have never tried the instant one. Now that it is winter I need something hot in the morning and the only time I can have it is at 930am. Is Instant oats fattening if so what else can I have for breakfast.

Dear Debra
All foods have the potential to be fattening if eaten in excess. If you have a bowl of instant oats with hot milk in the mornings to keep you warm this should not cause weight gain. As I mentioned to Cindy today, as regards the GI (glycaemic index) of oats, Oats-so-Easy, natural flavour by Jungle has a GI of 54, while most of the cooked oats porridges have a medium GI of about 62-68, and certain oat porridges may have an even higher GI. The GI of a food gives us an indication of how long the food will keep you satiated because of the effect the food has on blood sugar and insulin levels. Low-GI foods will keep you satisfied for longer and prevent hunger pangs. However, please keep in mind that the GI of any cereal product can be lowered by eating the cereal or porridge with milk or yoghurt.
Enjoy

6
Posted by: owen | 2012/05/24

no big problem, normal oats put required amount in a bowl with water and microwave for 2 minutes. perfect oats

Reply to owen
Posted by: Greg Swartz | 2012/05/24

I have found that instant oats is not pleasant to the taste like cooked would be regardless of what anybody may say.

Reply to Greg Swartz
Posted by: Arlene | 2012/05/24

I learnt that this can be done overnight  last thing before going to bed, pour the hot water over the oats (and linseed)  when u r ready 4 breakfast, heat in microwave for a minute.

Reply to Arlene
Posted by: mummy | 2012/05/23

hi cook your oats at night, warm it in the micro in the morning, put it in a flask, as how u wil want it, now u can have it when ever time u wan it.

Reply to mummy
Posted by: Stacey | 2012/05/22

alot of people dont know this but normal oats can be made in the mircrowave there are instructionS on box but what i do is when i leave my house , i add boiling water to normal oats and then when i get into the office i microwave for 1 minute , and done perfect normal oats . I dont like the instant and thats why i figured this out . I add a few raisins and cinnamon and somestime warm up some fat free milk and add it for some protein .

Reply to Stacey

Dear Debra
Enjoy