Posted by: Frances | 2009-05-08

Instant Oats

I eat a small serving of instant oats (about 25g) every morning as it seems to ease my acid reflux problems. I also was diagnosed with a slightly elevated cholestrol last year and due to diet change lost 16 kgs and lowered my cholestrol. My query is : Is instant oats as beneficial for lowering of cholestrol or should it be avoided. A dietician recommended instant oats (for someone else) as a breakfast but I am still slightly doubtful as to its benefits as opposed to the convential old-fashioned oats.

Dear Frances
Firstly - you are a ***star*** for losing 16 kg and lowering your cholesterol with a sensible diet. Well done! Oats, including the instant ones, contain so-called 'soluble dietary fibre' which help to lower blood cholesterol. Oats are also know for their 'binding effect' which may explain the fact that they help for your acid reflux. However, any food that does not cause you discomfort will help your acid reflux because the food lines the oesophagus and stomach and prevents stomach acid from attacking the tissues. Instant oats are still healthy, but they have a high-GI. When combined with low-fat or fat-free yoghurt or milk, the GI is lowered and these dairy products will also combat the acid. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page to access the 'Diet section of the Health24 site' and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read article 195 on 'GASTRO-OESOPHAGEAL REFLUX DISEASE (GORD) & DIET'.