Posted by: steph | 2011-12-10

insomniac geriatric dog

i have a small dog who is 16 years old now. he has started to look like he has dementia, but the vet says he is good and still alert. but these days he wont go to sleep. not at all. every night is the same thing with him crying and walking around non stop. i am exhausted now from no sleep...and starting to get irritable with him and i dont want to do that, is there anything i can give him to help him sleep at night. i take him to walk 2 times a day, he walks about 15 min each time, but its all he wants to do. please help i am desperate for my little dog

Hi Steph

I am very sorry to hear of your predicament.

There are many conditions that may cause the behavior changes that you are observing with your beloved dog. It would be well worth visiting you local vet for a clinical examine and discussion on possible treatment regimes.

There is a condition called canine cognitive dysfunction syndrome (canine dementia) which is a progressive condition that may be slowed down with the use environmental management, nutrition and medication – please note that there are other conditions that may present with similar clinical sign’s so it is imperative that you see your vet for a confirmed diagnosis.

I do hope this helps.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell