Question
Posted by: Joanne | 2011/01/10

Insomniac and Pregnant

I have been suffering from severe insomnia for about 2 years now and have been on Z-Dorm (1/2 a tab a night). I found out I was pregnant about 5 weeks in, I am now approx. 8 weeks. I have stopped the sleeping tablets but I cannot sleep at all. I get about 2 hours a night and I am absolutely physically and emotionally drained. I dont know what to do as my first doctor apt is on the 28th of this month. I have taken a 1/4 of a tablet a few nights because it has just become too much but now I am obviously racked with guilt and so worried that the tablet would have done any harm to the foetus. I am also considered High risk as I am 39 years old. Please can you provide me with your kind advise.

Joanne

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Although the medication in all likelihood will not have any effect at all on the child, obviously one would like to be off it asap.

I think you should stop taking it immediately - you will have bad sleep for a number of days, but at least you wont be worrying about the side-effects of the medication.

You then need to see a sleep doctor as soon as possible - ask your GP who the closest available person is.

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2011/01/11

Reply to Sleep expert