Posted by: Ann | 2011-04-22

Insomnia, Stress, Aches and Pains Burnout

Hi Doc,

After listening to a guy talk about his burnout on the radio last night, I could identify with so many things he said. I''m a mature student studying through Unisa and exams are coming up. I should be studying as much as I can but instead I feel so tired, can''t concentrate as I don''t sleep at night. If I do get a couple of hours sleep it is very light sleep. If someone makes a noise, I wake up. Am sure all the aches and pains I feel in my neck shoulders etc have to do with lack of sleep too.

It is a vicious circle as how do I get good quality sleep, which I need to feel well rested so that I can cope during the day. I need my sleep to cope and concentrate for my exams.

Where do I begin?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

You are quite right - this can be a very vicious circle indeed. Stress itself can lead to all the other problems, but a sleep disorder can too. And, of course, if you should have both at the same time, then it is a total disaster.

Just because there are more psychologists around than sleep doctors, I would suggest that you get referred to a psychologist. There are very good ways they have to help you cope with stress. That, in turn, should help your sleep as well. If after a while the stress management is OK, but the sleep is still a problem, get referred on to a sleep doctor.