Posted by: Jenny | 2011-07-31

Insomnia and headaches

I have been drinking a couple of glasses of Extra Light Wine with Diet Sprite nearly every single day the last couple of years, although I have never drank so much that I was intoxicated. Three weeks ago I decided to stop that and only drink one or two glasses whenever the situation arises. Since then I have only drank one glass of wine two weeks ago. BUT since I stopped drinking every day, I suffer from insomnia (sleep only 2-3 hours per night) and have these annoying headaches, not every day, but quite frequently. Is there a connection? If so, how long will it last???

Insomnia can cause headaches. You can ask your doctor for a prescription for a sleeping aid, which is safe to break the cycle of poor sleep. Your doctor should however, investigate to determine if there is another cause for your headaches.

There might be a possible link between your alcohol intake cessation and the insomnia, as alcohol has a sedating effect.