Question
Posted by: Bhova | 2010/04/28

Insomnia and Depression

Can anyone shed some light on this for me.
Can insomnia be a result of depression? I have been feeling down for about a month or so. Probably as a result of a seemingly failed marriage and failing business. My brother was diagnosed and treated for depression in the past so I have always told myself that I too am " depressive"  and as a result I just wait out the bad times until I feel better. It is the first time that it has taken so long to feel like getting up and living life.
But anyway my main problem is that I can''t seem to fall asleep for longer than 2-3 hours than I wake up never to sleep again. I''ve tried warm milk etc even alcohol but the results are almost similar.

Insomnia is indeed commonly a part of Depression, and also of Anxiety. Early Morning Wakening is especially typical of Depression. Alcohol tends to help one get to sleeep, but to bounce back awake after a couple of hours. It may be that you've had some mild downs in the past, but now maybe a more significant Depression. DO see at least a GP, preferably a specialist psychiatrist, for a full assessment and a discussion of treatment options, which could include medication and CBT style counselling. Fortunately, this is a disorder that usually responds well to
treatment. And if the sleep problems are due to depression or anxiety, its best to treat the cause, rather than getting hooked into sleeping meds as such

2
Posted by: Bhova | 2010/04/28

Thanks, I''ll see someone about this.

Reply to Bhova