Posted by: winnie | 2012-01-24

Thanks in advance for reading this, Doctor.

Here''s my daily battle: I lay in bed around midnight to sleep, and after 2 to 3 hours of trying, I give up and start cleaning or reading. My mind becomes clear and sharper than normal between 11pm to 4am. So, I decided to not force myself to sleep when it cannot so I allowed myself to stay up to let my body tell me when I should sleep. I didn''t sleep, I went to my 1030AM lecture, came home and slept from 2PM to 4PM before I had to attend a volunteer function, which ended at 7PM. I fell asleep at 9PM and woke up at 3AM. Needless to say, my circadian clock is all screwed up and am uncertain as to if I ever reached REM sleep.

I''ve been having trouble sleeping for quite some time now (perhaps a year or longer). Here are some more info about me: There hasn''t been any changes in my diet. Although I do tend to eat very few large meals, I''m 5''3" , 120lbs, just turned 33 and exercise irregularly perhaps twice a week (or try to), I do try and stay clear of sweets at least a good 3 or 4 hours prior to going to bed. I tried warm milk, noncaffinated tea, and a glass of wine before bedtime. None seem to work. I can''t seem to put my mind to rest. I try staring at the second hand of my watch without thought for a minute to practice clearing my mind of all thoughts, but have yet to success. I''m not suffering from depression (if anything, I''m very happy) or had any traumatic experience.

I''m concerned that my insomnia will interfere with school when my workload gets quite a bit more challenging in a few months. I appreciate any light you can shed.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

This sounds like a condition called "psychophysiological insomnia" (sometimes called "primary insomnia")

The best management is using behavioural techniques - as a rule medication is not as good. Its really all about getting your sleep habits right.

You are not easily going to be able to do this on your own. A sleep doctor should be able to help you sort out the problem - surprisingly, with the correct approach it often will take only a few weeks to completely sort it out!

Posted by: HANS | 2012-02-09

i''m suffering from insomnia for 42 years, almost since birth. i eat well, have no depression or unusial stress etc, etc. have been to so many doctors and experts i cant recall them all. my current doctor has me on medication and it works wonderfull. it is a pitty that there are not yet any sleeping medication developed without the current negative effects. should such medication become available i will be first in line and will pay any amount for a decent nights sleap. in my opinion insomnia is a chronic illness like cholestrol and it is a pitty that some " experts"  brush it off as a mental issue and as a temporary condition. untill you have insomnia, you have no idea what hell a sufferer must go through every day of the year. at this stage i''m willing to take the risks associated with sleepingpills because i can at least have a decent nights sleep.

Reply to HANS
Posted by: Michiel | 2012-02-08

Listen to the "  Sleep experts "  advice.Recommendations from other people will not help,because everybody differs.What help for you might not help for me.

Reply to Michiel
Posted by: Diva | 2012-02-08

If i may suggest, try and get " Holics"  its also very good and I''m sure it will help you to sleep.

Reply to Diva
Posted by: Rachel Stevens | 2012-02-08

Try drinking Cmmomile Tea - relaxes one perhaps you can then fall asleep more readaly/easier
Good Luck
Wishing you every Blessing

Reply to Rachel Stevens
Posted by: Annie | 2012-02-08

You could try Resque tablets. It does not contain drugs and is 100% natural.

Reply to Annie