Question
Posted by: Sheryl | 2010/12/14

Insomnia

Used to take Adco-Zolpidem for this problem - but started waking at 02h00. Advised to use Stilnox MR - this works very well. How long can this be taken? I am seeing a \psychologist in an attempt to sort out my issues - 3 consultations so far. Have taken 23 of these tabs. How and when should I wean myself off these Stilnox MR? I tried not taking a tab 2 nights ago - and maybe slept for 2 hours. Found when I lay down my heart was really pounding. l''m doing all the common sense things - no heavy meal at night, nor coffee or any stimulating drink, no hectic tv etc. Please help - I''d like to be sensible in this matter of weaning myself off the tabs - but still need to sleep. Thank you for this column

Expert ImageSleep Expert

These tablets are not going to do you any harm. However, after a few weeks, your body gets used to them, and they lose their effectivity. The problem then, is that when you try to come off them, they cause a rebound insomnia!

You first need to get all your other issues sorted out. Dont be in a hurry to come off the Stilnox. Once everything is completely settled, then gradually reduce the amount you are taking - over perhaps a month or more. Expect that, in that time, your sleep may not be ideal. Ultimately, however, it will settle down.

3
Posted by: Cambridge Advanced Learner''s Dictionary | 2010/12/22

efficacy noun

an ability, especially of a medicine or a method of achieving something, to produce the intended result  effectiveness
They recently ran a series of tests to measure the efficacy of the drug

Reply to Cambridge Advanced Learner''s Dictionary
Posted by: Sheryl | 2010/12/14

Thank you for your advice - makes a lot of sense - especially the second paragraph..

Reply to Sheryl
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2010/12/14

Reply to Sleep expert