Question
Posted by: Vera | 2010/03/10

Insomnia

I have a tracheostomy and I have been on Zolpidem for the last 11 months. I''ve stopped now and gone on to Nytol which is fine for getting me to sleep but then I wake up numerous times during the night and can''t get back to sleep again. I''ll wake up at 2.30 and be awake for an hour and then wake up at 4.30 and be awake until 6.30 when the alarm goes off. Is there anything I can take to keep me asleep the entire night? When I wake up during the night, my mind races around and I know that keeps me awake as well. I lost my mother to cancer almost 4 years ago and a lot of my thoughts are about her.

Best to see a good local shrink for a thorough assesment of the whole problem. I think Nytol contains diphenhydramine, an antihistamine which is rather sedative, and it tends to help one get to sleep, but not necessarily to stay asleep.
The problem with more lomng-acting sedatives is that while they may keep you asleep longer, they tend to give you a hangover the next morning.
Nothing keeps you awake so effectively as the anxiety that you won't be able to get back to sleep. So when you wake, instead of lying tossing and turning in bed, get up, go to a different room, watch some dull TV ( DSTV provides this reliably ) or read a calm book, till you feel drowsy, and then go back to bed expecting to sleep through.
And see a counsellor to explore and regain contro over these racing thoughts especially those about your late mother, which trouble you, and this too will improve your sleep

1