Question
Posted by: Lauren | 2009/11/06

Insomnia

My mom (55 yrs old) has been struggling with sleep with a long time, to the point where it affects her day-to-day activities. Is a melatonin supplement an option for her? What are the side effects and the negative long-term implications?

Thank you :)

Melatonin is not standard treatment for insomnia, and there's not good evidence to expect it to help most people. Its not a medical drug, I don't use it and so I don't keep up to date on information about its side-effects. Because it isn't a medically used drug in general, there may be no proper data on long-term effects. Anyhow, whatever one uses to treat insomnia ought not to be needed long-term. It'd be best for her to see a good GP or shrink for assessment, to check out whether other factors ( stress, depression, physical problems ) may be causing the insomnia, and would need to be dealt with first

1