Posted by: Rayleen | 2009-10-08

My question or at least my concern is that I am unable to sleep due to crime in our country. I live on my own and am terrified of falling asleep in case my house gets broken into. I have good security and I have slamlocks on all the bedroom doors so it would really take a lot for someone to get in and by that time the secuirty company has arrived anyway. I was prescribed sleeping tablets by my doctor but my mind is so active at night that they do not work. All they do is make me feel extremely dizzy. I probably sleep for about 15 mins and then I am awake again that goes on throughout the night. I am absolutely exhausted even while I am typing this. I can hardly keep my eyes open, my face and eyes are puffy and I just cannot take another sleepness night I am at my wits end. I don' t drink coffee and take anything with caffeine, I know what my problem is but how on earth do I overcome this fear? When I stay over at my daughter' s house I sleep for a good 8 hours but I cannot live with them I am independent and I enjoy having my own space.

Yes, if you insist on staying awake after taking sleeping tabs, they would probably make you feel dizzy. Which doesn't improve your security. I'd think you'd do better to see a psychologist providing CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour therapy ) ( the Depression-Anxiety Support Group, number on this page, could help you find one ( to learn how to control your anxiety, end the exhaustion, to be concerned but only as much as is useful. As you have been finding, inappropriately severe anxiety doesn't help. It not only feels awful, but actually reduces your safety, whereas being just alert enough, has advantages all round.

Posted by: Someone | 2009-10-08

How about not taking sleeping pills, but a sedative like Alzam for the anxiety. I take Alzam once in a while when I can' t sleep and because I feel less anxious I actually do sleep better, with no side effects like grogginess the next day. I usually only take half a tablet, but you can take one tab at a time.
Ask your doctor for a prescription and just try it for a few nights.

Reply to Someone