Posted by: Carmen | 2009-03-11

Hi CS, quick one for you... do you think that having an overly domineering mother as a child could cause such hectic insecurity in one as they are now an adult. i am 34 years old, extremely insecure about everything, i worry about everything, am always anxious and quite frankly just dont " enjoy"  my life that much! My mother was very domineering and over-bearing to such an extend that us kids were scared of her. do you think this can cause such insecurity later on in life. i cant think where else it could come from???

Possibly so. Or, rather than the domineering causing insecurity directly, i could prevent the normal formation of security. But yopu can't change history. The good news is that you CAN change, via Cogniive-Behaviour Therapy, CBT, are the conclusions and habits of thought you formed based on those earlier experiences. Bu some folks end up ( until therapy solves it ) insecure even with gentle and loving moms.
Did you know's comment on homosexuality ( and it's wrong, by the way ) reminds me of the joke of the guy who said :" My mother made me a homosexual", to which a friend responded: "If I gave her enough wool, could she knit one for me, too ? "

Posted by: Really | 2009-03-11

Oh, Did you know...... they can cause kids to be gay???? WOW

Reply to Really
Posted by: Liza | 2009-03-11

Go and see a psychologist or psychiatrist. Feeling as insecure, worried and anxious might be something like Generalised Anxiety Disorder. Psychotherapy and perhaps medication could improve your life a lot. Just see a qualified psychiatrist for a proper assessment before you go onto medication. From personal experience I don' t really trust a GP to have the know-how to make a proper diagnosis unless he has done extra courses on psychiatry.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Did you know | 2009-03-11

A very domineering mother could cause her children to become gay

Reply to Did you know