Posted by: sue | 2013-01-21

Innerear fullness and vertigo

Dear doc
Just wanted your opinion please
I have been walking around with vertigo for the last 3 weeks , I''ve been to my gp a week ago, he could see my eardrum was red and swollen and treated me with penisillin and sinus meds , the meds are fininshed but the vertigo is not gone yet and it feels like there is water or something deep in my ear, when I swallow I can hear a crackling sound , the vertigo is worse when I move around or drive. I was just wondering , about 3 weeks ago I took a swim with my children and I jumped into the pool with them , I remeber a sharp stab in my ear (the one that''s now giving problems) when I hit the water , and the vertigo statred about 2 days after , can there be some water behind the eardrum from this episode ? can this be treated with otc meds or should I go back to my gp / ent doc ? It is realy frustrated to feel like this - thank you doc

I do suggest that you consult an ENT specialist. The incident in the swimming pool could have caused irritation and damage to your middle ear. It is possible that your symptoms are due to inflammation, as well as fluid collected inside the middle ear. The specialist will be able to prescribe more spesific medication to treat your symptoms. Corticosteroids in combination with a stronger course of antibiotics will reduce the inflammation and reduce the pressure.