Question
Posted by: Kouli | 2011-03-19

inner ear infection

About 6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with an infection in my inner ear. I was put on anti virals which got rid of the virus, however, I still have the symptoms of dizziness and ringing in the ears. I have begun vestibular therapy for the dizziness which began to relieve some of my dizziness. However the ringing became worse. My ENT told me to get a mouth guard. Due to my stress, he believes that I''ve stressed my jaw bone from grinding my teeth. My dentist says that I do not have TMG and does not know why my ears are ringing. Should I see an oral surgeon? Will the ringing to away. According to my tests, I do not have any hearing loss. Or is it just a process of healing? Is my dizziness (vertigo and ringing) a symptom that will take time to heal. I''ve read that it could take months. I''m afraid of tympani damage. Please let me know if the ringing will stop!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Kouli

You have indeed been treated very thoroughly and effectively by your doctors, and the problem now would be to predict if the tinnitis (ringing in the ears) will stop. Unfortunately this is impossible to answer, and no medication has really shown to have made any significant difference. You should do the follwing:
1. Aviod loud noise.
2. Avoid complete silence
3. Avoid to many stimulants (eg coffee, caffeiene, alcohol etc.)

There is a treatment called Hearing Health available from certain audiologists that may prove helpful, but unfortunately the treatment is not currative. Only time will tell if your problem will resolve.