Question
Posted by: amelie | 2008/08/05

Inner ear infection

I had a throat infection about 6 weeks back. from the throat, it infected my ears and I developed a middle ear infection.
My gp prescribed antibiotics and pseudoephedrine to clear it up.

Only it didn' t. I became terribly dizzy and my ears remained blocked. So I went to and ENT who diagnozed inner ear infection. He prescribed panafcort for 5 days (I had to drink 12 once a day) and an antivial medication that I had to drink every 4 hours for a few days.

It' s been three weeks and my ear still pops open and closed. I am still dizzy, out of the blue some days. I drink some cenarizine for it and it passes. The doctor said I might suffer frim vertigo for a while after the infection has cleared up.

How would I know if the infection has cleared up? How long could the on/off dizziness still occur?

I don' t have amedical aid so I really don' t want to go back to the ENT just to ask a few questions.

Any advice?

Hi Amelie
The dizziness can persist for a few weeks in some cases. You could maybe ask your GP to check your ears to see if the infection cleared up - will be cheaper than going back to the Ent. If the ear still pops you still have swelling in the Eustachian tube - try using Drixine nose drops twice a day for only 5 days and Beclate aqueous nose spray twice a day for a week or two.