Posted by: Jason | 2009-06-22

Inner ear

Good Morning,

I recently lay down and all of a sudden I began getting dizzy and the room started turning, when got up I was ine again. I went to the doctor and was told I had an inner ear infection. I was put onto antibiotics and then a second course when it never cleared. It was then fine for about a 6 weeks. I now woke up this morning dizzy while lying down and I'  m light headed. How do I know if I must go to the doctor. Can I fight off an inner ear infection without antibiotics

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Jason
Dizzyness, or "giddyness" can be caused by a lot of factors and should be investigated. Your GP needs to exclude cardiac and neurological problems. Medications can also cause dizziness.

Certain conditions can be easily treated. There is a condition called BPPV (Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) that is suggested by dizziness while turning in bed and looking upwards. An ENT will be able to diagnose this condition.

I suggest you see an ENT surgeon who will decide on further tests depending on clinical findings.

Posted by: Neal | 2009-07-19

I experience a constant high-pitched sound in my ear which is affecting my sleeping. It started after using a power tool at home to do some handywork. There was a lot of noise while using the tool and for a few hours thereafter the noise in my ears was quite loud, subsiding thereafter. I now only hear the ringing in my ear at night when there is little ambient noise.

I understand that the condition is called tinitus. Is there a cure or relief for the condition? The sound is quite intrusive and is sevrely affecting my ability to get enough sleep.

Reply to Neal