Posted by: AL | 2009-03-23

In Jan i put my arm out the car door to press the intercom and i seemed to have stretched my right arm too much as i felt a pull into the top shoulder area, it was sore for a few wks and diff to lift the right arm high above my head. It seemed to recover but has started up again for 2 wks now. The dull pain goes into my neck on the right side and what worries me is the inability to lift the right arm as high as the left, also when i lift both arms at the same time i notice the right side seems bigger at the shoulder or swollen or more like the muscle in that area is bigger in comparison to the others side? i dont kno if i am making myself clear but just want to clarify if the incident with the intercom could cause this and what do i do to treat it, will physio help? is it serious? the other common thing in the past two wks is that i started working in front of a computer with an uncomcoftable chair so i think this brought the discomfort back?

Your advice pls?

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Al,

an outstrecth of the arm as you describe can certainly cause an injury to the structures around the shoulder especially the rotator cuff tendon. It may be a simple tendinitis or even a tear of the tendon. You may start with physio and if that does not help you should see a doctor versed in shoulder problems and he can confirm the diagnosis and sometimes a cortisone injection can give remarkable relief

Dr Joe de Beer