Question
Posted by: felicity | 2011/03/03

Injury on duty claim

I have an employee who 6 months ago fell while assisting a customer and injured her shoulder. She was off for a week. She then had a seizure while on duty (she''s an epileptic)and was off 2 weeks. She has hearing and balance problems for which she is under medical care. Yesterday she was assisting a customer and stepped backwards and fell over a display in the shop spraining her knee. She went for medical care at a cost of R2500.00 and they have booked her off for a week for a sprain. She is wanting the company to pay these medical costs as she feels it''s an injury on duty however I feel that the company shouldn''t be held liable for her not being vigilant and falling over a display which has been in the shop for nearly a year and she was fully aware that it is there. Do I have a claim to not pay these cost and I feel she is becoming a liability to the company with all the medical conditions she suffers.What options are available to me.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: INJURY ON DUTY

You must always envoke the COIDA legislation. a proper application form in terms of COIDA.

If you believe she is becoming a liability to the company then it is necesseary for you to get independent medical advice and if the medical advices is that the injury is long term and won't have a recovery then it is necessary to embark upon a process as laid down in Schedule 8 of the Labour relations Act.

1
Posted by: Labour Lawyer | 2011/03/25

RE: INJURY ON DUTY

Reply to Labour Lawyer