Question
Posted by: Candice | 2012-07-12

Injury at work

Story: Bathroooms were renovated at work , the bathrooms have solid walls and doors, cant go under cant get over.
I locked the bathroom door and the lock came off , i tried to get out and get lock back on but couldnt , i started hitting door , kicking and screaming hoping someone would hear me , no one did , while kicking i noticed the piece i needed to attached the handle on came back so i kicked tried ,but if i misjudgeded the two pieces it went out again , so i kicked again eventually after 30 mins i was able to unlock door.

I sparined and strained my ankle and have medical costs now.

After talking to people more then 3 people ( luckily for them someone was in the bathroom to get them out , 2 of the occasions it was the facilitues manager herself who let them out) were locked in the bathroom before me and the facilities manager was aware of these incidents and did not fix the handle or place notices.

I have foamlly advised them of the incident and the injury and a week later its still not fixed

Can i claim my medical costs back , considering i was not the first person just the first injury

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

The incident did not occur during and in the course of your work, so strictly speaking would probably be declined as an IOD. You can try reporting it but could well see the medical costs,if any, becoming yours.