Posted by: CGS | 2010-03-31

Injured on duty

Please can u tell me what are my rights as to compensation for not having sign boards up and me slipping and falling damaging my back and the loss of ever being able to work again.I fell badly on a wet floor " NO SIGN BOARDS were displayed "  we never ever had any in the 7 years that I worked their.,I injuried my back I have had to have 5 Major surgeries as I damaged L4/L5 Disks, Ive been off for 2 years now from work and at the time that I fell our company did not have a human resource department, just someone in management that tried to do her part but wasn''t qualified in the possition. My doctor booked me off as Permanent Disability Last year in June,he tlold me that I was allowed to draw
UIF, but when I asked my company for my UIF Card I only recieved it a tear later .I believe that I should have been able to draw. But now it is too late...WCA is not paying my medicyne bills, nor me traveling up and down to the doctors and physio, I have been battling for 2 years now to get some sort of help but everyone just passes the buck.What are my rights as to legal help ?Do u think that it would be worth my while going to see a good lawyer as nothing is materialising and I feel I shoul not be suffering due to their negligence of not putting up sign boards.

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

There are a number of points that you mention which point to poor management and probable negligence on the part of parties with legal compliance. I would document in detail all the relevant details and then go personally into the Deportment of Labour. They will review the matter and most likely contact the employer to initiate an investigation on your behalf.