Question
Posted by: sad | 2009/10/08

injured now cant run

Hi. I am an exercise addict and tend to go overboard! I have now got a stress fracture in my foot and cant do any running for 8 weeks. I decided to swim this morning, but I just dont have the same feeling as when I run. I did 100 laps of virgin active pool in 1 hour and feel nothing. Im not even tired. Im afraid I am going to get fat if I dont do my hectic cardio. I still weight train every night. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

CYcling is another option, I guess. But it's between those two, because you unfortunately need to minimize impact, and that limits you somewhat. So that's about all I can suggest - but you need a goal, regardless of what you do. Even swimming could be fun if you adopted a goal-centred approach rather than just swimming many laps every evening. Perhaps that goal is the Midmar mile, or something as simple as improving your time in a 1000m swim or something.

The same for cycling - goals will help a lot.

And so will other people. I think it's really important to get some friends on board, to train with you, push you and distract you, in the even that it's not as challenging as you'd like.

It's a shame you're injured, I know the frustration! But now is the time to reassess and make the next 8 weeks about rediscovering exercise and health, maybe finding new targets, and not to compare to the past. And if you just tick over, you won't gain

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/10/12

Reply to fitnessdoc