Posted by: Anon | 2012-06-03

Injured knee

Today I fell directly onto my knees while running.
Initially I could not put any weight on my right leg because my knee felt like it was all out of place and in a great deal of pain.
15 minutes later after a bit of Voltaren gel and massage I was able to walk and even gently jog on it.
Except it gradually felt like it was swelling up (though only showed a little swelling under the patella).
It felt like the ligaments around the knee and particularly on the outside and behind the knee were tightening and stiffening great deal.
It is now evening and i cannot flex my leg due to pain, spasm and a great deal of stiffness (feels like swelling though doesn''t show externally). Extending my leg seems to help stretch it a bit but only temporarily. It is quite painful, but functional - I suspect only ligament damage. Can I treat this myself or will a physio be able to help me with treatment beyond what I could do myself at home? Approximately how long does soft tissue knee injury take to heal before getting back into sport?

Your injury can take 4 to 6 weeks to heal completely. I do suggest that you consult your doctor for x-rays of both your knees, as it is possible that you have fractured the patella. If a small fracture is present, the healing time can take much longer. In the interim, I suggest that you use Myprodol capsules, two every six hours, to alleviate pain, inflammation and swelling. You also have to apply a hot compress, followed by a ice pack, twice daily.