Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2008/09/26

Injured Finger

I injured my index finger 7 weeks ago. Car door closed on it. I had 7 stitches. The wound has healed. The skin is still tender but the finger itself is still slightly swollen and a bit skew. I can not completey straighten it. The Doc said that it was not broken. Why is it still swollen and painful?

Dear Lisa

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Unfortunately, such an injury can take up to 21 days to heal completely. It will however, be a good idea to have an x-ray taken to determine if the digit is broken and to determine the amount of bone bruising. This will give an indication of how long it will take to heal.