Question
Posted by: mich 24 | 2009/07/09

injection into tm joint

I heard a LOUD popping sound in the area of my left ear this morning and had pain around the area. When doctor examined me he said it' s the tm joint. Every time I opened my mouth it was clicking more on the left than on the right. He suspected inflammation of tm joint. He gave me a cortisone injection into the joint. How safe is this injection, because it' s on the side of my face?

Dear Mich24
It is safe. TM joint problems often happen because your grind your teeth when you sleep - let your dentist have a look and see if you don't need a mouthguard to sleep with - this takes the stress off your joint and also protects your teeth