Posted by: Melissa | 2009-05-07

Injection and Antibiotics

Does Antibiotics only affect Oral Contraceptives or does it affect the 2 month injection as well? Do I need to use extra protection while on antibiotics?

The injection is not affected by antibiotics.

If you go for your injections on time then the antibiotics will not have an effect, its not the same as the pill. I was on 2 month injection for 6 years.

Posted by: Sam | 2009-05-07

Hi Melissa
Yes, Antibiotics will weaken both orally ingested contraceptives as well as the injection, which goes into your bloodstream anyway. I would advice that you use a condom whilst on the antibiotics and two weeks thereafter as the antibiotics is still in your system.

All the best!

Reply to Sam