Injectables &  IUI

Hi Doc,

My hubby &  I have had a few unsuccesful IUIs. I have have used clomid with poor response. My FS strongly recommended us doing IVF. It is so expensive &  we currently don' t have so much of funds for the IVF. Would it be possible to use all the injectables suggested for the long protocol for IVF &  do IUI instead? He indicated that I would use Lucrin, Fostimon &  Ovidrel. Please excuse the spelling if wrong. Is there any possibility of this?

Please advise. Thank you!

Dear Anonymous

The decision to do IUI would be strongly based on whether tubal patency is intact and whether the semen parameters are such that IUI is likely to succeed. Should this be the case then the use of injectables to stimulate ovulation is certainly feasible in an IUI program and would also give you a much higher success rate than with the sole use of Clomid.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim