Posted by: Tired | 2008-12-07

Seems like we'  re one of a few working on a Sunday. To make an extreme long story short, I am adopted an have met my biological mom. One of my first questions to her was whether depression runs in her family, as I suffered badly from it in the past and am still on anti-depressants. She said no, but mentioned long after that discussion, that her dad (my granddad) committed suicide. Now I think you will agree with me that you have to be severly depressed to commit suicide. Could my depression thus be inherited?

I'  ve been for loads of counselling to sort out my adoption issues and have done so effectively. I have also been on Nuzak for the last 8 years, tried to go off it various time, and had to start taking them againb cause I became so depro.

Anyways - got married recently, work sux and I am taking a severe dip. I don'  t want to do anthing, see anyone etc. Do you think I should visit my GP, I am wondering of this Nuzak is maybe not doing the job anymore.

I really don'  t want to go see a therapist, there is just nothing to tak about.

Yep, both working, both tired.
Remember that in the past, even the fairly recent past, Depression was not much formally recognized or diagnosed, and families didn't really think of it as something that might run in the family, and indeed proper treatment was unavailable or uncommon. Though Suicide would probably be remembered.
Remember too, though that Depression isn't directly inherited. It runs in families in the sense that the more members of the family have Depression, the more likely their descendants are to inherit a similarly unstable mental chemistry and to develop depression, but one inherits a liability, a propensity, a risk, greater or smaller, not a certainty. Even where both biological parents have major depression, some of the kids don't develop it at all.
What is becoming clear now that diagnosis and treatment are more common, is that one appears to inherit not only a vulnerability towards Depression, but the same variety of chemical instability, and often tend to respond to the same variety of drug. Not wanting to do anything about it, even when feeling bad, can be a feature of Depression. Why not explore the availability of Corgnitive-Behaviour Therapy, CBT- which research shows to be highly effective in treating Depression ? Its not a question of "finding something to talk about " ( any therapist with whom you feel like that, isn't doing their job properly ) --- in CBT you work actively, identifying your habits of negative thinking and actions, and test different revisions of these to find a more practical and effective way of handling the stresses and downs of life.