Posted by: Irritating little problem | 2008-11-13

Ingrowing hair on scalp

Dear Doc

Hair folicles on my scalp becomes inflamed (only about 2-3 at a time) and a number of other people I have spoken to also experience this.
I have long hair, wash my hair every 2nd day and rinse throroughly after shampooing and conditioning. It hurts when combing or blowdrying my hair and takes about 3 weeks to heal and go away, only to start somewhere else on my scalp again.
I have tried different shampoos as I thought this is the cause of it, but it hasn' t made a difference.
Could you please advise what causes this and how I can prevent it.

Thank you for all the good advice.

Dear A
Some fungal infections of the scalp can cause recurring sores on the scalp or it could be folliculitis, caused by a bacteria - let your doctor have a look as the treatments are very different. You may need antibiotics or antifungal treatment.