Question
Posted by: Nikkie | 2012-01-30

Ingredients - safe in pregnancy

I would appreciate it if you could please tell me which of these ingredients is NOT safe in pregancy. I am now 31 weeks along and therefore already in my 3rd trimester.

•  Avena sativa -
•  Garcinia cambogia -
•  Gotu Cola (Centella asiatica)
•  Hypericum perforatum (St John''s Wort) -
•  Scuttelaria laterifolia -
•  Chromium Picolinate -

Thank you in advance.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Nikkie

My first question is WHY do you feel the need to take these during pregnancy? In my opinion, you should steer clear from any medication that is not essential, and if you decide to take anything, these should first be approved by your gynecologist.

For most of these products, safety in pregnancy has not been clearly established and is therefore not recommended. Products such as Gotu Cola, Hypericum, Scuttelaria laterifolia has documented adverse effects in pregnancy and should be avoided.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012-01-31

Hi Nikkie

Reply to pharmacist