Posted by: JJ | 2012-08-20

Good day i was diagnosed with influenza last week wednesday. Docter prescribed antivral for 5 days. I finished my antivral and felt even wors today. Went back again to the dockter today and she said i have secondary infection (brongutis) and booked me off for a further week and now gave me very strong antibotics to drink? Why did i have to start with antivirals and did not start with anibiotics? my heart right is over 120 and high fever. They took a xray of my chest and results are no virus found. II must report back in 48 hours if my condition is not better to do blood test?. Could you pls enform me if this is a normal diagnosis? because i dont have a medical aid and paid alot on medication that not working.
Your help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Influenza causes the flu. The flu is not the common cold. The flu can cause severe illness with a high temperature, body ache and a severe general feeling of malaise. Influenza/flu is a viral infection and can not be treated with antibiotics. There is no definate treatment for the flu, except bedrest, oral hydration and the use of medication to reduce pain and fever. Supplementation with zinc and high doses of Vitamin C can help the body to recover sooner.

In many cases, the flu can cause a secondary bacterial infection. This infection must be treated with antibiotics. I do suggest that you report back to your doctor within 48 hours and keep record of your heart rate and body temperature, as this can give an indication that you are recovering.

Please refrain from any exercise, as exercise can be very detramental to your heart, whilst suffering from the flu.