Question
Posted by: Anon | 2009-10-08

Info please

Please forgive my ignorance. I read most of the posts and you frequently refer to CBT. What type of treatment is that? What is the process/method?

OK, you'll find loads of descriptions of this if you seach the archives of this forum, and indeed if you Google this title on the web. CBT is Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, a development of the older forms of Behaviour therapy, which is the front-runner currently of methods of therapy with lots of good quality research showing that it works, has lasting benefits and doesn't take forever to get anywhere. Basically, the therapist works with you to identify behaviours and habits of thought that are causing or complicating your problems, and works with you to revise those in useful ways.
I recommend it as there is no evidence that any other method works better or is more economical of time and cost, and because of so much experience that vague, analytically styled counselling can take forever without achieving anything useful.