Question
Posted by: Paul | 2008/08/11

Info on Sky Burials in South Africa

I have the following questions about " Sky Burials"  in South Africa 
1. Is it legal?
2. Where can it be done?
3. What are the lawful requirements?
4. Who can oversee it?
5. What are the costs?
6. If i live far away from such a site, what can I do to get my body to such a site after my death?
7. Where can I find more information on this matter (for South Africa only)?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

No, I'm afraid it isn't legal in South Africa. As far as I'm aware, the only places that are set up to legally perform sky burials are Tibet or India, and then you probably have to join the Zoroastrian faith.

But there are other options for alternative "green" burials. If you haven't yet, have a look at the story "Death - a greener way to go"
http://www.health24.com/medical/Condition_centres/777-792-1461-1671,34512.asp

1
Posted by: Paul | 2008/08/14

That is a pity.
I have read the article you' ve refered to. Unfortunately none of those options are practical for us as we live very far inland and far from universities.

The idea is to firstly move away from the high costs of traditional burials/cremations and secondly to move towards greener burials.

We feel that the one staying behind can do without all the added stress and costs of tradional burials.

Any other suggestions?

Reply to Paul