Posted by: Trudie | 2009-10-01

Info needed please

Hi! My hubby and I was asked to adopt his godparents 4 year old male bullterrier, ' cause they couldn' t keep him anymore. They are building on their property, and space would be a problem. We introduced him to our small female house doggie, which went very well, but he didn' t seem himself. He acted very scared, and at night would sit howling under the window. Since he was kept with 2 female bullterriers for 4 years, I decided to get him a partner, ' cause he was obviously feeling alone, no matter how much attention he received. I got a 6 month old female pitt bull about 2 weeks ago, which is severly neglected and abused, thinking I could offer her a loving home, and a great partner ( this one LOVES the ladies!) Everything has been going GREAT for the past 2 weeks, but since 3 days ago, he has started bithing her ( not doing damage though) when she comes near us, or when he sees his previous owner, she' s automatically attacked.( He never use to do this where he came from, instead one of the females used to give hima a hard time!) Otherwise there' s no problem, they get on well. I give them their food seperately also, so as to avoid unnessecary problems. Is this just a case of him trying to show her he is the main man, or could this be a more serious issue? The pitt bull is already so timid and scared, I would really like to avoid these things from happening, as she is a very loving pup and I' m trying my best to show her a better life than what she has had.

Please advise what I can do, to improve this situation.
Thanks in advance.

Dear Trudie

Follow Chill's advice.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-10-01

This is a fairly complicated situation, and because the dogs you mention are large and potentially dangerous, I would strongly recommend that you find an accredited behaviourist to talk to. I do have a few ideas, but it would be far better to have a professional explain to you what' s going on, and how you should handle the dogs.

Your vet should be able to refer you to someone who can help.

Reply to Chill