Question
Posted by: Andre | 2009-08-06

Inflammation of shoulder joint

I developed inflammation in my shoulder after a (too) long session at the driving range. After a few sessions with a physiotherapist I still had no relief. My doctor recommended I get a cortisone injection (or even more than one).

However, I' m afraid this might in the long run just make the problem worse. A sports doc friend of mine recommended Traumeel ointment/capsules, seeing as it' s a more natural product and won' t cause the inflammation to flair up later on. What is your opinion and recommendation/s? Also, is it safe to use alongside conventional blood pressure and cholesterol meds?

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Andre,

The Traumeel is safe and can be used with the medication as you mentioned. A cortisone injection or two is not harmful at all either. The only thing i am concerned about is if the diagnosis of "inflammation" is correct. I recommend that you look at our website www.shoulderinstitute.co.za and specifically at "Shoulde Pain". you may find some information on all the causes of pain in the shoulder. If you are not better after all that you may need to see a shoulder specialist to at least make the diagnosis and direct you towards the most appropriate treatment

Regards,

Dr Joe de Beer