Question
Posted by: Jaco | 2010-04-16

Inflammation in hands

I''ve been having pain in my hands for 6 months. I went to the GP who found my uric acid too high (447). I''ve been on medication for 5 weeks now. How long should it take for the inflammation in my hands to disappear when the uric acid is normal again?

Expert ImageOsteopath

Hello Jaco,
You need to be asking your GP any questions on your medication.Foods containing uric acid and the compounds that metabolize into uric acid include most animal meats, such as beef, pork and seafood. Poultry and ham, the "white meats," can have some degree of purine content and should be eaten very sparingly, but they are not as detrimental as the "red meats." Bacon, however, is very high in purines due to the processing used to make it ready for human consumption and should be avoided. Alcohol and breads which contain yeast are also foods high in uric acid that should be kept out of the diet.

Black cherry juice, also known as sour cherry or bitter cherry, is also being used in great quantities to help relieve the symptoms of gout in conjunction with diets to reduce uric acid. Celery seed extract and bromelain are some popular alternative medicine remedies that have been used as natural anti-inflammatories and have been well received by those who suffer chronic inflammation. Adding eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and folic acid to the diet can also assist in reducing inflammation in gout episodes.

By eliminating some foods high in uric acid from the diet, many gout sufferers have found some measure of relief from their pain and taken back control over their bodies that they feel had been taken away from them. Diets to reduce uric acid are also quite beneficial in conjunction with other natural therapies such as osteopathy, and many people are reporting a definite decrease in pain and other symptoms simply by making a few changes to their diet and lifestyle.

1
Posted by: osteopath | 2010-04-21

Hello Jaco,

Reply to osteopath