Posted by: Charlene | 2010-09-30

Inflammation and pain in elbow

Dear Doc,

I have been suffering with my left elbow for about 4 months now. The inner part of my left elbow just next to my elbow bone usually flares up and becomes inflamed. It feels watery (not sure if the tendon swells up as its feels like a swollen, mushy vein when i feel it) and extremely painful to touch. I cannot even lean with my elbow on the bed, it feels like a pain running through my whole body. I have been to 2 GP''s, the first said that I should see an OS as it seems like a growth and it needs to be cut out and the 2nd said there is nothing that can be done? Sorry I cannot explain it any better. I would really appreciate your advice on what steps I should follow.

Thanking you sincerely,

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

The ulnar nerve runs on the inside of the elbow and with the degree of pain you describe there might be a swelling or tumour of some kind encroaching on the nerve. The fact that you feel swelling there indicates that you have to get an X-ray of you elbow and see an orthopedic surgeon- he would make a definite diagnosis and suggest what the correct next step is