Posted by: weja | 2009-07-21

infertility/semen analysis

Im 35 yrs old active male, recently had semen analysis. the test results were as folows
viscosity-1.0, volume-2.5, sperm count-7.9 *L, motility-60%, mfp-2(normal), (morphology) normal forms-2 L, amorphous 95% , tapered 3%. the odds ratio for infertiltity-6.3
it was recommended that I repeat the tests after 6 weeks.
what can you advise to improve my chances of having a healthy sperm for better chance of procreating, its been 4yrs without luck, my spouse is perfectly normal according to her gynae.

Dear Weja

It appears that your infertility is certainly related to a severe male factor problem. The presence of a very low sperm count and in addition only 2% normal forms indicates a low chance of a spontaneous pregnancy. The possibility of your requiring assisted reproductive techniques is very high. Most medications containing multi-vitamins and nutrients have been proposed however none of them have been scientifically proven to improve semen analysis parameters or pregnancy rates. I would suggest that you see an urologist to ascertain that there are no conditions present that may be contributing to the low sperm count and quality.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo