Posted by: Curious Candy | 2009-01-19

Hi I am a 27 year old female who has a High count of Prolactin gnae never said anything about me being infertile but after reading a bit about this seems it can cause infertility I have one child and would love to have more not right now but just obvioulsy want to know  Is there some test they do to see whether you are fertile or not if so what test is this and if we are talking in terms of paying cashfor this test more or less how much does it cost??

Dear Curious Candy

It is true that patients with significant increase in Prolactin levels may experience fertility problems mainly due to ovulatory dysfunction. However, not all patients with mildly elevated Prolactin levels will experience this problem and therefore the nature of the menstrual cycle by itself would be a very good indication of whether the Prolactin levels are interfering with fertility. In particular the number of menstrual days usually would shortened as Prolactin levels become increasingly problematic and in extreme cases menses may completely disappear. A simple hormone profile together with a pelvic gynaecological examination and ultrasound may be of great value and fortunately the treatment for high Prolactin levels is reasonably effective and simple in most cases. In extreme cases however, a brain scan may need to be done to exclude the possibility of a pituitary tumour.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim