Posted by: Sue | 2010-05-27

Dear Doc
I have been waiting to do IVF for 4 months now. Every month I have a swob and i''ve got some kind of vaginal infection such as klebseille pneumonia, e coli, and now Proteus mirabilis and each time i get given antibiotics. I have ''high'' hygiene standards and are very careful with wiping etc. I had a missed miscarriage last year (IVF) due to a vaginal infection i didn''t know i had. In Dec IVF no. 2 didnt work. I am now 39 and running out of time. I desperately want a baby, but am scared i''ll never get rid of these infections. Should i just forget about IVF or is there something i can do to prevent these infections or find the cause. I have started taking Probiotic intensive 2x day. Thank you so much!!

Dear Sue

I think it is wise that you are taking pro-biotics as your history of re-current vaginal infections seem to be a major problem. In addition it is important that not only your get treated but your partner needs to be treated as well. If despite treating your partner as well and the presence of vaginal infections still persist the use of vaginal douching may be helpful in your particular case. There is no reason for you to forget about IVF. Many patients fall pregnant and don’t miscarry even in the presence of infections. The fact that you had a miscarriage does not necessarily mean it was due to the infection. If despite taking all the necessary precautions, the prudent use of anti-biotics and pro-biotics and vaginal douches and the infection is still present, you may then have to go ahead with the IVF cycle in the presence of bacteria.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo