Posted by: steve | 2010-05-08

infection/inflammation in wrist after various drips whilst in hospital

I suffer severe pain and swelling in my wrist after iv''s in hospital. What can I do to relieve the pain. Got antibiotics doesn''t work.

It is possible that you have a thromboplebitis in the area of the drip site. Treatment will be appropriate antibiotics, thrombolytics, analgesics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, elevation of the effected area, keep pressure off of the area to reduce pain and further damage, apply moist heat to reduce the swelling and pain and support wraps to reduce discomfort.

If non of the above brings relief, surgical removal, stripping or bypassing of the vein will be necessary.

Posted by: Susan | 2010-05-10

You need to get anti-inflammatories not antibiotics. Try those stick-on pathes (I think its called ICE) as well. It worked for me. If you do not want to go back to the doctor you can buy Nurofen + from your pharmacist.

Reply to Susan