Question
Posted by: Ruby | 2009-01-05

Infection in pregnancy?

Hello Dr!
Hope you had a nice holiday!
Just have a question about infection and pregnancy. I had really bad muscle pains and stuff a week ago. I thought it was calcium related and went to ER (also had cramps in my tummy). My calcium was normal, but my white blood count was high 14,2 (My Bp was also very high for me 140/94, I normally have low BP 110/70). The doctor did not know where I have the infection, cause I did not have any other symptoms apart from muscle pain, chest pain, palpitations and out of breathe. (I also had high white blood count on 15th when I saw my doctor, I had flu symptoms then and he also put me on antibiotics for 5 dyas - I felt better after 3 days). They also found blood in my urine (but no other sign of bladder infection). They also did EKG that was normal and all my cardio markers were normal (they were concerned about endocardites). They phoned my cardiologist, but he said its unlikely to be endocardites cause of my valve not leaking. The ER doctor said I must come back in 5 days if I am not better. They put me on Augmentum 1000mg x 2 a day + interflora + panados for the pain. I dont get bad muscle pain anymore, but I am also not well. I normally feel feverish in the evening (but like really low fever) and I get light muscle aches. My muscles burn a bit. Last night I saw some blood when I wiped. Its not coming from inside though. (I think I am just bleeding easily because my doctor put me on ecotrin 84mg - my nose is also bleeding every day now). Also itch little bit and slight discharge (white). Sorry for the detail. Dr, just want to know, I am seeing gynae, pulmonologist and endocrinologist on the 12th. Do you think this is serious and need attention before then? Or can I wait for my appointment as long as I dont get bad fever. Is there anything I can use? I am really surprised that I could get this while on such a strong antibiotic. (They checked the baby when I went to ER and baby is doing great, HR160 and I am now 10 weeks and 3 days). Thanks very much for your help Dr! R

Hi Ruby
I am a bit worried about the tendency to bleed - when you are pregnant you can't afford to lose unneccesary blood and I do think the blood when you wipe needs examination. To me it sounds like you had a lung infection (maybe viral ? initially) Please take your temperature when you feel feverish - if higher than 37.5 I think you should go for a follow up examination and they should decide whether you need to see the specialists earlier.