Posted by: Anon | 2012-01-19

I want to know if it is possible for a 3 year old girl to get a vaginal infection. my little niece recently visited my MIL and she was very red in her vaginal area. She has previously had an infection and the GP prescribed a cream. This little girl does not live in great circumstances and I am worried that there could be more to this - how would one know without over reacting and thinking the worst

Yes, it is possible, due to poor hygiene. I do however, suggest that you consult a doctor if you suspect a vaginal infection, due to poor hygiene or abuse. Swabs can be taken to determine the cause of the infection. Please be very careful in how you approach the situation.